Tuesday, February 06, 2007

One down, three to go...

I survived my first interview---whew!

I tried to get a good night's sleep last night. It didnt help the situation when there was a party going on in the room next door into the wee hours of the night last night. At first I wasnt sure, but it didnt take long to realize it was other med students who had obviously didnt have an interview this morning. I tried to wait it out and hope they would go to sleep, but finally when 2:30am rolled around, I decided "this is RIDICULOUS!"

I threw on a fleece, and went and knocked on their door....silence....then a sheepish looking medstudent came to the door. I said in my most sincere voice, "I really hate to break up the party, but I have an interview in the morning..." And instantly the guy looked mortified, and he replied, "I am SO sorry, no really I am so so sorry". I mumbled some sort of response and then crawled back into my room into bed. Thank the Lord they were quiet after that. At that point I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh. Also thank the Lord that I can function reasonably well on little sleep.

I was full of the jitters in the morning, but got myself fed and watered, bathed and groomed, pressed and dressed and to the interview, with time to spare. And interestingly enough, one of the other candidates waiting to interview in the morning turned out to be a fellow CMDS-er from Alberta. That was nice.

The interviews themselves (one with the program director, one with the Chief Resident, and one with a faculty) all went reasonably well. There weren't any questions that I hadnt at least thought about before, and for the most part they seemed quite conversational, and they spent a large portion of the time answering my questions. This was all followed by lunch with a slide show by the residents about why we should come to Dalhousie, and a tour of the hospital. Interestingly enough I was the only female candidate not in a black suit, which made me feel good. I didnt want to feel like a stiff, and I felt like myself in my suit. A more refined, sophisticated version of myself, but myself.

So tonight I am off to the resident social for the candidates at the Good Time Pub. Hopefully it will live up to its name.

Tomorrow, off to Montreal....

3 comments:

tmosh said...

glad to hear your interviews are going well - my mom has had 2 different guest coming to Saskatoon for their interviews - tis the season

thanks for the labour advice i'm hoping it goes smoothley!

Allison said...

Keep us updated, babe!
But what's this I hear about you giving labour advice?! "Tmosh", come talk to ME about labour advice! ;) Just kidding, Lauren. Sort of. I'm kidding about you not being able to give any labour advice. I'm not kidding aoubt tmosh talking to me about it!! You will probably get a different view-point! And more is always better.

Anonymous said...

Great! Keep up the good work. You have been blessed. All will go well with the other interviews. Keep us informed.