Sunday, December 04, 2005

The beginning or the end?

The weekend before final exams, and moving to Regina, and I decide to start a blog. I decided that a blog would be an effective way of telling the world of my wild adventures as I embark on JURSI year.

Departure from Saskatoon brings new acute understanding of the phrase bitter sweet. I am excited to be nearing (so very near) the completion of the bulk of classroom work, and even more excited to start interacting with and taking care of patients on a daily basis. I am terrified of the responsiblity of looking after patients. I am sad to leave behind my community, my friends, my family, those people dearest to me, with whom my life is intricately woven, and now I prepare to be cut out of the weave. Change. It is inevitable. Things are always changing, sometimes the change is just more blatant and obvious. Regina is a big unknown---uncharted territory. New challenges, new obstacles, new adventures. Friendships will change, adapt--some will weather the changes well, others will be stretched, even strained, and all is yet to be determined. And yes, the true friendships will endure, but there will be things that I truly will miss---like Kelly and Sarah's kids growing up, or being here for the birth of Allison and Ryan's first baby. These are the costs that I did not calculate for when I discerned God calling me to pursue medicine. Yet I will persevere, and hold my head up to meet what is waiting for me around this next bend in the road, this journey of my life.

Hebrews 10:35-36
35So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. 36You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

Hebrews 12:1-3
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Lauren I'm so glad you have a writing blog and not just a photo blog. Now I can read about your adventures! Please call me again so we can talk! I miss hearing the sound of your voice!