Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Supporting Cast

What if, what if ...what if we are not here to simply be the star of our own stories? I can talk about being a servant, but I always have viewed the story story from my own position, looking outward at the sphere of life around me. When I step back and review the past semester of my own life---no real plot twists, no big surprises, my place in the world is about the same. If viewed from my perspective---boring. Did God forget about me? But then, I see---a different take--the Directors Cut.

I have had the priviledge of being supporting cast for some friends as they underwent major life changes, these past few months. The story lines literally came out of left field, and then just blossomed before my eyes, as I got to watch them unfold with baited breath, quietly following the Spirit, out in the periphery. It is very humbling to realize that the "plot"of my own story my not be the primary purpose for this season of my life. Yet, that is what we are called to do—not be self serving, but serving others (Gal 5:13), not looking to our own interests, but to the interests of others (Phil 2:4).

I suppose that is the beauty and power of a surrendered heart: we are freed to be placed instrumentally by God, and dance the steps He whispers in our ears, and then to be blessed to see how those steps create ripples throughout the Kingdom, blessing and edifying others in turn. Has my own situation changed? No. Do I still have dreams within my heart, waiting to be fulfilled? Yes. Is my heart overflowing with joy for the blessings God has poured out on my friends. Resounding yes.

So perhaps its not about who will win the Oscar for Best Actress. Ensemble pieces never have one cast member that you can single out as the "star". Strong ensembles all work together, supporting, undergirding one another, highlighting each others strengths, compensating for one anothers weaknesses. So, I will continue to play the role that is handed to me in the script. I still can choose to give my best performance, or a sub-par performance. Either way, the result will effect so much more than just myself.


"The consequences of parting with our last claim to intrinsic freedom, power, or worth, are real freedom, power and worth, really ours because God gives them and because we know them to be (in another sense) not ours."
~ C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves


“Christ, can truly say to every group of Christian friends, ‘You have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.’ The Friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of all the others.” ~ C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

No comments: