Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Tales of a trip to the Peach State

Ah, I have returned home--there is something delightful about coming home, feeling the place of origin envelope you in its folds is quite satistfying.

It was a fun trip. As Tin can atest to now, after spending a continuous week with me, often my life is more humourous than fiction. But some of those stories are best told in person---if only for the sound effects.

First off:
A few things I learned while in the US

1) There portions of food really ARE drastically larger than they are at home. I dont think I finished a meal at a restaurant the entire trip.
2) The most lucrative place to be a semi driver is on the I-95---there was one semi for every two cars on that interstate.
3) Firearm vendors at Flee Markets make me nervous.
4) One mans junk, really is still just junk (again learned at the Flee market).
5) You can move 400 year old oak trees and replant them somewhere else if you have enough money.
6) Apparently toques are "toboggans" if you live in Georgia, well at least if your name is Charlie
7) Your name must end in an "ee" sound to work at an outdoor tourism shop.
8) Southern hospitality really is something to write home about (Jules and Curt were fantastic hosts)
9) You can order coffee as baboon sized.
10) Tea is not something to order in the US at a restuarant.
Tin: I'd like a cup of Earl Grey Tea please
Waitress: hot tea?
Tin: Yes, hot tea.
Waitress: I'll just go warm up some of our iced tea for you in the mircowave
11) It takes more than four people to finish a New York Times crossword puzzle--how many more I dont know.
12) I can drive on crazy interstates and freeways, as long as I have a good navigatress.
13) I laugh every single time I hear flight attendents announce "we would now like to invite our Elite, Super Elite, and Super Ultra Ultra Elite passengers to board".

Highlights of our trip--sea kayaking, climbing a lighthouse, touring a plantation, Jules' cooking, great bargains at the multitude of outlet malls, quirky used book stores, catching up with Juliana and getting to know Curt, downtown Savannah with all of its historic glory, orginial coblestone streets and all, discovering Iron Chef for the first time and falling in love, head way on Brothers Karamazov, a crazy 10 hour layover in LA, and Tin and I developing new vocabulary for our already cryptic language that only she and I understand.

Tin and her kayak












Tin and I and the Atlantic Ocean! Exams? What exams?









Can you spot the Canuck?



















Downtown Savannah. Gorgeous.







Our home away from home.





















No one said plantations are glamorous! In fact, it might even rain on plantations....






For more detailed tales, consult the print photo album complete with live action audio recounting of ridicolosity.






5 comments:

Courtney said...

Wicked! I was so glad to see some pics. I hope you had a ridiculously fun time!

tmosh said...

can't wait to hear those sound effects!

Anonymous said...

Lauren and her travelling pants

the univerese will not allow Lauren to own more than one pair of jeans!

Lauren: Gee, I don't know if this is all going to fit in my suitcase...la, la, la

Tin: ITS ALL GONNA FIT!

Lauren's Jeans:
I hate you, I hate you for replacing me...
What did I ever do to you....
Oh to think I spent my best years with you....

RIP!!!

Lauren: So you think I should patch these pants?

Tin: Remember what we learned about oral cancers?

Lauren: mmmm, field effect!
Right...


Other fun quotes of the week.

Tin: Buffalo?
Lauren: Mark Ruffalo?

Tin: Aristophanes?
Lauren: Ridiculous!


Airport Talk:

Statement: Did you pack these bags yourself and have they left your sight?

Translation: Did you leave your bags with random creepy guys in LA?


Statement: Bulgaria, Budapest, Bucharest!!

Translation: AHHHHH


Statement: Like this cool silver bowl I bought my mom for Christmas?

Translation: I like you and I think your 19.


Hope you have a great holiday!

Loved travelling with you, we'll have to do it again sometime...minus the creepy dolls.

Love You Lots, Tin!

ITS ALL GONNA FIT!

tmosh said...

ok i have a hard time believe that Lauren only has 1 pair of travelling pants - have you seen her closet and dresser and other dresser?!?!?! This woman is seriously loaded with clothing and has a little hard time letting go i think the mounds of boxes and wrapping paper are good evidence of that!!!

medstudent said...

Loved travelling with you too Tin! As I said before, the heart of our friendship is that we love to laugh, at ourselves and each other.

T-Mo for the record I only ever have one pair of jeans that are suitable for wearing in public---although I will admit to having difficulty turfing things that have outlived their usefulness. :)