Thursday, February 23, 2006

Psych

Psychiatry is keeping me busy, but its a different sort of busy. I still havent mastered being in more than one place at a time---really must figure that out before becoming a resident. My preceptor is giving me lots of assignments---read about this tonight, assess this patient sometime between morning rounds (which take all morning), noon teaching rounds, and afternoon clinic time, and I am busy preparing to present at journal club next wednesday. Have I mentioned I have never even BEEN to a journal club before, let alone do one before, so I really dont know what is expected of me. So I spent two and a half hours this evening reading papers, researching the background info on the internet etc, followed by a chunk of time devoted to reading about benzo withdrawal. I cant complain really though, because I am learning. I just sometimes forget how tiring it is to be on the very steep part of the learning curve---welcome to the next 16 months of my life!

The trouble with psych though, is if I am not the one doing the interview with the patient, in the office that is a thousand degrees, it can very quickly become me being very drowsy, as I sit motionless for hours at a time, observing someone else conduct the interview. Man I hope I get to do more of the interviewing as the weeks go on, or I am going to be fighting the sandman every single afternoon in clinic.

Other than that, life is good, and largely uneventful. Tin is staying with me while she christens her first elective block doing O&G in Regina. I think she's crazy for wanting to do O&G for a living, but different strokes for different folks. Its enjoyable to have her here in my appartment, it makes the days go by more quickly. We had a little dinner party one night this week, and wound up feeding a total of five hungry JURSIs. Grand fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very busy time indeed. Staying awake when doing assessments is tricky sometimes, even if you are doing the assessment. It takes great focus to observe body language, listen to the conversation, process the information coming in and make jot notes all at the same time. It don't be a problem for you, because you do multi-task very well. Hang in there...