Thursday, June 01, 2006

The number...

Today was my second last day in Halifax. I fly to Ottawa on Saturday.

I spent most of today marvelling over the fact that it was June 1. Every year when it all of a sudden is June, I am usually almost startled to realize June has arrived. Out of no where, its my birthday month, with less than two weeks until I have my birthday.

I must say, that since Eddie and I are together, my birthday doesnt have any 'sense of impending doom' attached to it. This year I turn 24. I still distinctly recall that when I was 18, and 19 years old, my family was saying --oh you are so young, dont even think about getting married for years! This was fine and dandy at that time, when I was still dating my 'high school sweetheart'. That of course as we all know ended in the beginning of my first year of university. Then almost the day I turned 20 it has been, 'so do you have a boyfriend?', 'when are you going to find someone?' etc. This went on for the better part of FOUR years! Oh granted, I was never really that old, and I was quite satisfied with my life, but for whatever reason, each year that ticked by, the number sounded larger and larger, like I was encroaching on old maid-dom. This of course was a silly cultural perspective, that didnt actually reflect reality. Funny though, now that Eddie and I are happily dating, the number 24 doesnt sound like a label, rather it sounds like just a number. Strange isnt it?

No comments: