Saturday, May 27, 2006

Halifax Day 14

Today marks my last Saturday in Halifax, as I fly out to Ottawa next Saturday. Jessi left early this morning, so my travelling buddy has left! I have a feeling this week will be much more low key. I went to the market to explore a little more this morning, and that was a lot of fun. I got some nice havarti, some fresh pitas and some very tasty hummus. I also checked out the handblown glass and crystal store on the harbour walk, but everything in there was over $100.00, so needless to say I never picked up anything! Then I got completely absorbed into a used book store on Barrington--I am not sure how long I was in there. I found a copy of Anna Karina, and two Chaim Potok novels, so I bought those three books, and I am actually very excited to read them. Although I plan on finishing Brothers Karamazov first, as I have been working on that for a while. That is the project for this week, as Jessi is gone- start running again, and finish some good novels.

The rest of the day has been spent working on a presentation that I have to give on Tuesday at Endocrinology clinical rounds. This is the "oh yah, I am still a student" reminder. My entire bed is covered with books, and I have spent most of the day reading journal articles. Yet, nerdy as this sounds, I much prefer reading journal articles when they are in attempts to answer a real clinical question. Yes I am a geek, sa la vie.

I was talking with one of Sharon and Cal's friends last night (they had company over), and we wer just talking about life, the things we enjoy, you know the sort of stuff you talk about with a person when you have just met them. At one point she remarked, "your life sounds so exciting!" This was an interesting persepective. To outsiders, the fact that I get to travel across the country on electives is famously exciting. Most days I dont feel like my life is exciting at all! Especially days like today when I am working, burried in medical literature all day. But on the whole I guess it is quite lively. Its more like short burst of excitement interspersed between large volumes of hard work. Most people probably have a very dramatacized, glamorous view of life in medicine, thanks to tv shows like Gray's Anatomy. I was thinking about this the other day, and about how if I really knew what medicine entailed before I started, I dont know if I would have done it. I would have thought the sacrifices were too great. But I also wouldnt have appreciated how rewarding it is, so on the whole I am glad I am here. God truly only does reveal to us what we need to know at the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes this medical adventure has been an eye opener for us all, even though we had our own Eddie for a long time. I know Grandpa knew somewhat how hard our Eddie worked, however, it was difficult without the phone and internet connections in those days to really know how hard he was working... Although they did see evidence of it when they went down for the occasional visit and found him hard at the books.

Talked with our Ed at supper last night. He said there isn't even one endocrinologist in Saskatoon. They are having to refer out of province. He said one would be able to write their own ticket. Something to think about.

Sounds like it was a good morning at the market and it is always fun to meet new people. Talk to you later in the week.

A Not So Desperate Housewife said...

Your life IS exciting. I went to the store to get milk today and I thought that was pretty dang exciting. I got chocolate milk instead to switch it up a bit.