Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Halifax Day 3

I am settling into the Endocrinology department nicely here. Today I was doing follow-ups on consults that are in-patient, and saw one new consult. Every patient that we see is wickedly complicated with multiple endocrine pathologies, as well as long standing comorbidities. I think that it was a really good choice as I am learning LOTS, and well we have all of about two endocrinologists in Saskatchewan right now. I see at several complicated diabetics every single day, so I think I will likely achieve my objective of being more comfortable with diabetes managment before I go home.

There is definitely a difference between being a 'clinical clerk' and a JURSI. Here we cant sign any orders on our own, so it really doesnt feel like I am really contributing to patient care at all. We definitely have more responsibility at home. It really is a fine balance between enough responsibility and independence with enough teaching and senior support.

Then after supper Jessi and I went walking about the city. We explored the Harbour Walk along the waterfront which is rich with character. It was deary and rainy when we started, and proceeded to torrential downpour. The pier was very quiet, but full of shops, mueseums, boat tour wickets and lots of fun things to do. I think we will go back in better weather, and then I think it will be teeming with bustling activity. We then walked past the Citadel which was covered in dense fog, so we could not see it, and then on to Spring Garden Road (a larger version of Broadway Ave) and stopped at a gelato cafe for a treat. It was a lot of fun, but by the time I got home it was thundering and lightening, and I was sopping wet up to my waist, with several hundred mls of water in my shoes!

No pictures today as I wasnt going to take my camera out in the flood!

2 comments:

LJE said...

another cool spot along the pier is the glass blowing shop where you can stand and watch them make glass pieces - it's just off the pier in a reddish board building (if i remember correctly), and there's an art shop (paintings, pics, carvings, pottery, sculptures) right across the sidewalk from it. It's near the end of the pier farthest away from the red & white stacks across the way....oooh, hearing your stories about Halifax makes me want to go back there.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well. Learning a ton is excellent!Added bonus of having a pal to explore the area is a terrific bonus. Will be good to hear from you in more detail.