Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Halifax Day 4

Interesting day today. First off at the hospital I saw a case of Paget's Disease of the bone today. I have never seen that before! It was pretty interesting. Every case we see has very marked pathology, so I will have a good array of patient characactures in my head for the different diseases.

There are also tonnes of patients on insulin pumps for diabetes here, and I was speaking with the "pump trainer" today, and she says that there are only 20 pumps that are sold to Saskatchewan patients every year, and hundreds to Nova Scotia, and the populations are about the same size. I think this is partly because there are almost no endocrinologists in the province!

Jessi and I went for a walk down Barrington street tonight after supper. The town was much more lively today because there was no rain. Although, wow is it cold here! The crisp ocean winds cut right to the bone. I am wearing longsleeved shirts, a fleece and a wind-breaker and still chilled.

Anyways, we wound up at a Free Trade coffee shop for warm drinks, and sat down to relax. Just so happens that a poetry open mike started moments after we got there, so we stayed for the hour of poetry. There was actually a guy there by invitation from Vancouver so that was cool. The creative energy of the people we heard tonight amazed me. It is as though there was so much energy bubbling forth from them it was only their skin holding them in. So alive, so vibrant. On one hand it reminded me of how I feel as though my creative side has run dry, and on the other hand, if I am parched, it is refreshing to sit and bask in the vivid imaginations of others.

I am really enjoying the city. The biggest force pulling me back to the prairie is and will always be the people there, the family and friends with whom my soul is at ease, because those people are unique to Saskatchewan.

2 comments:

Daryl said...

maybe you should have used some of the great poetry experience from kadesh while you where there

Anonymous said...

Maybe there are more insulin pumps in NS because there is some sort of funding. My friend in Saskatoon just got one this year, and she had to pay for the entire thing. They are quite expensive.