Sunday, May 07, 2006

"What we need to foster, in ourselves and in others, is a contemplative outlook. Such an outlook arises from faith in the God of life, who has created every individual as a wonder. It is the outlook of those whos ee life in its deeper meaning, who grasp its gratuitousness, its beauty, and its invitation to freedom and responsibility. It is the outlook of those who do not presume to take possesion of reality, but instead accept it as a gift, discovering in all things the reflection of the Creator and seeing in every person their own living image. "
~ Pope John Paul II

I havent had much time for contemplating these past few weeks--or I havent made or set aside time, however you decide to look at it. Either way, as I started to read Go in Peace by the late Pope this weekend, I found the first few pages refreshing to my soul. Most days I feel as though my brain is stretched taut, and there is no more room to give. The weekend comes and relieves some of the tension, but by monday my brain will go back on the stretching rack. I need to develop more discipline in setting aside my time for contemplating and for studying (separate times), even when I am exhausted. In the long run avoiding the things I should do only makes everything worse later on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought about you and how your brain is being stretched every day when I read a section in J.M.'s book Knowing God Intimately. She quotes 1 Cor. 14:2, 14-15
Her comment regarding speaking in tongues, "Many times I have had the experience of feeling discouraged or physically tired, yet I had work to do. Often I have needed to teach in one of my conferences, and I certainly did not feel like a woman of faith who was anointed by God, or filled with His Power, to minister to others. At such times I have learned to pray in the Holy Spirt or pray in other tongues. As I do so, I can litterally feel the life and power of God rising up out of my 'inner man' and ministering strength to my entire being" (See Ephesians 3:16).