Monday, May 22, 2006

Halifax Day 9


Victoria Day in Nova Scotia!

We had an early start to the day, at the Citadel for its opening and we caught the first tour. They did a 21 gun salute at noon for Queen Victoria as it is Victoria Day and all today. Wow was it cold out today. The citadel was really interesting, it made me think that the two World Wars would have seemed much more tangible here in Halifax than at home as they were a major port to ship out troops. The system of defenses for the harbour are simply astounding. Did you know the Halifax harbour is the second deepest natural harbour in the world?





The view from atop the Citadel, overlooking the Harbour.










We also toured the Alexander Keith's Brewery
today. Established in 1820, it is the oldest working brewery in North America. The tour was really well done, with actors dressed as characters from 1863, taking us through the brewery and its courtyard and the old inn, singing and dancing for us too. They gave us beer samples at the end of the tour. The id-ed Jessi Matt and I! I totally thought they were joking but oh no, they seriously wanted to see our id! And I sampled my first mug of beer. They let us try the new Keiths Amber Red Ale. I actually didnt mind it, I could enjoy having a glass of it. I didnt finish it mind you, and I think at best all I could ever drink would be half a pint. Anyways it didnt have the nasty bitter taste that all other beers I have tasted have. Although I am not about to have a 'beer of choice', as red ale is only sold in the maritimes!


































And with Eddie in Edmonton, and I in Halifax, we video conference every night to stay in touch. Its not nearly as good as being in the same place, but it does make things a little easier.


3 comments:

Courtney said...

I don't know if you'll like this or not, but I think you look a lot like Britney in the pic of you on the citadel! Maybe it's the facial expression?

The last and only time I tasted beer I nearly gagged. I am not a beer drinker. If red ale is not as bitter as other beers, however, maybe i could appreciate it as well?

medstudent said...

Oh courtney,
you are so funny! I was really surprised that I didnt mind the red ale. You may appreciate red ale as well, we will have to split a pint sometime and give it a try!
Hehehe.

As far as looking like my sister, I suppose thats bound to happen with our shared genetics and all. It goes in spurts and starts.

Anonymous said...

I can still tell you apart... good thing. However, i do think you look a lot a like on some days. Seems that you are getting a lot of site seeing in. That's wonderful... Is this an elective where you aren't getting a lot of call?
Talk to you soon. If you let me know what time of the day is good to call you at the home phone of your hosts... I will give you a call...