Monday, October 30, 2006

Tim Hortons Horror

Eddie and I walked into Tim Hortons on the weekend to find a young man lying on the floor with blood stains on his head and the surrounding tiles.

For a moment my heart stopped. "We are going to have to resuscitate this man"--flashed through my head.

Two seconds later I realized he was conscious and there was a staff member there controlling traffic and that the ambulance had already been called.

At first we then walked past like regular bystanders--then we said to each other " we are probably at the point where we are obligated to help this guy." So we walked back over and offered our help.

We didnt do much--verified the story, took his pulse and then the ambulance arrived, and they have the gear to actually provide real help. He was acutely okay when he left with EMS.

It got us to thinking--next year we for surely are obligated to help in emergencies in public places. I think we are going to have to carry some sort of minor first aid kit, or at least a mask incase we have to do CPR. It kind of scared the crap out of me! Really without IV fluids, proper airway and ventilation support as well as some cool drugs, we are kind of useless in those situations. Oh well, we decided that after next year for sure when we run into situations with people under 18 Eddie will be in charge and I will be in charge with patients over 18, and that we are going to have to carry some sort of minimal gear.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

And that's why I go to Second Cup...

I hope the guy was ok. I think I will try to call you Wednesday, I have to do this CPR thing on Wed and Thurs, but when I get home I'll give you a call.

latah!

Anonymous said...

Certainly wakes a person up to the realities of life. Good for you for checking... and also for having a plan for the future. I'm wondering how STARBUCKS lost out?

medstudent said...

T-Ho's is cheaper and we are on a budget, that's how!

Courtney said...

Lauren I just got my CPR and First Aid yesterday! And I was just officially hired by Child and Family Services on Tuesday! Yippee! I'm still going to call you but the week is ridiculously busy...tonight? I don't have plans but you probably do. Oh well. Might try anyways.

A Not So Desperate Housewife said...

Set me up with some of those 'cool drugs' you were referring too, eh?

A Not So Desperate Housewife said...

Seriously, I failed the WORD VERIFICATION thing on here 3 times!

medstudent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.