Friday, January 05, 2007

Surgery

Well I am back in the saddle, in a manner of speaking. This week I started my general surgery rotation. This is definitely coming back from vacation with full steam ahead! I am enjoying that the surgeons keep me busy, and are willing to teach as we plow through the day, this much is good. Man oh man though, I am NOT built to be a surgeon! I am at the hospital by 6:20am and havent left until 6pm so far this week, and after standing in the operating room for a four hour case I was almost dead! Who knew standing perfectly still being a human retractor would be so tiring?!

Ah well, its only four weeks, and I will be able to do it for four weeks, and hopefully learn something while doing it!

And we have new JURSIs, yay! The third year class had their induction, er rather orientation, to being JURSIs this week, and as of Monday they will be on the wards with us. Its always nice to have more bodies to distribute the work load on, and fresh blood will be appreciated --its good for moral. Tim and Erin just moved here as well because Tim is a new JURSI, so I am excited to hang out with them more often.

Thats all for now, I am going to go try to catch up on some sleep after a night of open bellies and holding intestines in my hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very busy week indeed. Can't say that I would have the endurance to stand for hours on end doing surgery but praise the Lord that some are gifted and called to do so. Thinking about new jersis being on the wards is astounding! Just think that a whole year has passsed, and the incredible learningn experiences that you all have had! Wow!