Sunday, March 12, 2006

Mountains

I just got back today from an amazing four days in the mountains. Wow do I love the outdoors and God's spectacular Creation.

Arleen, my outdoor adventure superstar friend, and I packed into my little sunfire on Thursday, and made the nine hour trek to Canmore, a small little town just outside of Banff National Park. We were slowed up slightly by a nasty winter storm between Medicine Hat and Calgary, which had us travelling at 50kph, but we made it.

The first stop however was at MEC, which for some strange reason only exists online in Saskatchewan. I LOVE that store! I was able to finally pick up a respectable sleeping bag for a person who like the 'back-country', a therma-rest (which was on sale for less than half price :) , my first dry bag (a sack for packing gear in, so that if your canoe tips, your stuff stays dry), and a fleece.

After MEC, we made it to our little hotel in Canmore. We actually got a super good deal on accomodations and lift tickets, so that was great. We spent two days on the mountain at Lake Louise, which is definitely worth the drive. The weather was perfect--sunny, warm but not too warm, lots of base snow. Amazing. The second day we tried the back side of the mountain, which is simply breath-taking, as you cant see the parking lot or any of the other man made stuff, and you are just on the mountain. SOOO GREAT!

And how stoked am I that I have another long weekend booked for next weekend? Extremely. Three more days of pediatric psych and then back to the mountains. You see, I realized that with all the silly rules around when JURSIs are allowed to take holidays, if I dont take some days off in Psych, I wont be able to take all my holidays, for two more days off I go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a great time.
Glad to hear that rested tone of voice.