Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

Today was Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent---the forty days of fasting in the Christian tradition that are to prepare for the celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection, otherwise known as Easter.

Interestingly enough, the two Catholic boys that I have come to know and love, were both working the night/graveyard shift at the hospital, so Ray and I, the 'protestants' (although I think this title is becoming less representative of the real story), anyways, we the 'protestants' trotted off to Ash Wednesday Mass at St Martin's parish in Regina.

I have to say, that I have really come to appreciate Catholic mass. This one today in particular was really something to think about. The emphasis was on turning from sins and living a life that is faithful to the Gospel. They also were welcoming new Catholics to join them in Lent, and then they will be officially joined with the Church at Easter. The priest prayed for the new members, and the first two things they prayed for the newbies were: that they have a fruitful daily prayer life, and that they read the Word daily and meditate on it. In that same hour, we were instructed on the importance of fasting, why its done, how it shouldnt be done etc. There was reading of scripture, singing of hymns, communion, and distribution of the Ashes. The funny thing was, the content of the messages told sounded like they could have been preached at any of the other churches I have attended---but in addition to that, in one hour they touched on all of the cardinal elements of the Christian Faith. I think I have to say that coming out of a Catholic mass I always have encountered a more holistic view of the Christian faith than when I come out of a protestant service.

I have given up coffee and junk food (this means sweets--cookies etc, and deep fried stuff). I figured coffee would be the thing that would be a daily sacrifice, and its the closest thing I have to a daily vice (dont get me wrong, I have vices, just that most of them arent daily problems). I toyed with giving up other things, but most everything else I would have given up would have been either quite easy to give up, or not something that would daily remind me that I am to re-focus my thoughts and my life on the Cross.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giving up coffee is no doubt a tough one.

Courtney said...

I'm glad you have people to go to church with. And that you found a church that is teaching solid biblical stuff that you agree with! That is key. Oh wait, you never said if that was your home church or not! Well then, I won't assume. Hmm why don't I email you and then this comment won't be 5 paragraphs long.

Anonymous said...

When going to Covenant Bible College they forced us to go to several different types of churches. Afterwards we had to answer this question: What did I give to God? This question forced me to realize the principle of First and Second Things years before I formally heard it. It says: "every preference of a small good to a great, or a partial good to a total good, involves the loss of the small or partial good for which the sacrifice was made." - CS Lewis
It seemed that when more was given, more was received and it was good.
God's peace to those who put down the coffee cup.