Sunday, March 26, 2006

What are you, then, my God?

"What are you, then, my God? What are you, I ask, but the Lord God? For who else is lord except the Lord, or who is god if not our God? You are most high, excellent, most powerful, omnipotent, supremely merciful and supremely just, most hidden yet intimately present, infinitely beautiful, and infinitely strong, steadfast yet elusive, unchanging yourself though you control the change in all things, never new, never old, renewing all things yet wearing down the proud though they know it not; ever active, ever at rest, guarding, creating and nurturing and perfecting, seeking although secure, you regret without sadness, you grow angry yet remain tranquil, you alter your works but never your plan; you take back what you find although you never lost it, you are never in need yet you regjoice in your gains... After saying all that, what have we said, my God, my life, my holy sweetness? What does anyone who speaks of you really say? Yet woe betide those who fail to speak, while the chatterboxes go on saying nothing."
~ Confessions, St Augustine.

May I not be one of those chatterboxes who talks much without saying anything. The first book of Confessions is written with an intensity and passion that inspires me to know my God more intimately, and to seek him more ferverently. And I am reminded of the importance of taking the time to read such things that strengthen my soul, rather than always and only books that strengthen the academic part of my mind.

2 comments:

Allison said...

In response to your comment on my blog, YES!! I am so glad to know ahead of time that a section is probably going to happen, rather than labouring first!!! And did you get me comment about dibs on seeing you when you are in S'toon?

medstudent said...

Yes Allie,
you get top priority for Stoon visits. You and Ry should get to know Eddie too---he is pretty awesome. Cant wait! I am SO looking forward to that two weeks.

Miss you!