Tuesday, January 03, 2006

First Day

Today marked the beginning of my life as a JURSI.

It was very surreal walking to the hospital with Eddie and Mark. It was like starting a new school, or a new job--all the butterflies and anticipation of the completely unexpected, not knowing what all the nuances will be, except with this strange twist that I was venturing into this unknown with some of my dearest friends, and in all 20 people that I know well and enjoy their company. Regina doesnt quite feel like home yet. One of the boys commented that it felt like we were away on elective.

Orientation was good, although very strikingly resembled a full day of lectures, as we sat in a room with tables for most of the day and had people talk to us. The docs who are deptartment heads all came and welcomed us, and they all seemed very genuine in being excited about having a large group of us here. Good sign. The Assoc Dean for Regina welcomed us, and was very up front and honest about things that are issues, things that are good, and what they are doing to work on the problem areas. Good sign. Then we tromped around for pictures for id badges, toured the JURSI lounge, got the cursed black boxes (pagers), were fitted for our customized scrubs (we get issued five personal pairs, and two lab coats), got issued more textbooks and all of this before lunch. After lunch saw a seminar on infection control (handwashing) and the 12 steps of how to properly take off protective gear so as not to contaminate oneself, along with being tested in space helmets for N-95 respirators. A full day.
Tomorrow I learn how to defibrillate and intubate people.

The interesting thing about all of this orientation stuff, is I realize I dont know anything and that the first two and a half years of medicine were to ensure I would be able to understand what they were teaching me when the actually started teaching me to be a doctor.

Then after work (I really am puzzled as to whether to call it work or school...) Kelly and his parents hosted our class for a FABULOUS meal in their home. Five different appetizers, two salads, two lasangas, a beef stew dish, mashed potatoes, for main course, and homemade truffle with Rolo icecream for dessert. WOW. It was such a blessing for us all to be able to dine together after today, and eat good homemade food.

It is a new season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a good first day with many more to come. Glad to hear Eddie and Mark were company on the way to GH.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - she begins to get it...

Thinking of you and your colleagues as a new chapter begins. Blessings!

tmosh said...

lauren i'm sure with you and all your friends you must feel like you are in an episode of ER or Greys Anatomy but yet somewhat cooler because it is real. Crazy lady! I remember the day we saw glimpses of this season so long ago... :)

medstudent said...

thanks to you Assoc Dean---means a lot.

And Tan---yes it is very surreal. I am very glad that I still have friends who knew me before I became medicalized, so you can appreciate the transitions I have gone through, but at the same time, you ensure I retain my traits that are the genuine me.

tmosh said...

oh i'm sure there will be no problem keeping those things that make you Lauren :) They probably will be just more refined and appreciated and loved