Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Theraputic O&G

Today I phoned one of the O&G docs to ask if I could do clinic with them this afternoon. I had heard good things about this doc, and had a high index of suspicion that he was a Believer.

What an afternoon.

It was great--first off, he had me seeing patients by myself, and always coming in to see the patient with me afterward. Superb bedside teaching.

Then at some point in the afternoon, he found out I was a Christian, and then he started telling me of all the ways he has seen God move through his practice. Absolutely inspiring. He stressed that first and foremost, he lives for Jesus. Being a doctor comes afterward---it should never come before. And, then to top it off, he prayed with me before I left. It was a very theraputic afternoon for my soul. I cant help but think how much more incredible medical school would be if all professors were like that--if all doctors were like that. The neat thing is that even the non-christian students really like this doc as a preceptor, because his zeal for teaching, and kind and gentle spirit are evident to everyone.

Yes, it was a good day at the office.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

That's really awesome Lauren!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous to have those kind of teachers. Reminds me that we all need to be the hands of Jesus.

Allison said...

I got your phone message, but we have had busy evenings lately...well, anytime it's soccer season we have busy evenings. I do want to chat, though!!!