Wednesday, January 11, 2006

First Night on Call

Halfway through the first week. Its a good thing obstetrics is first, because if I can survive this, I think I will be able to get through almost anything!

I spent my first day of JURSI on call for Labour and Delivery. I think we delivered about 8 babies that night--its somewhat of a blur at this point. Yes, there is not much sleep on L&D, it was 530am before my head saw a pillow, and then I got the wake-up page from switchboard at 730am so I could make it to morning teaching seminar. It was a bizarre painful sensation that shot through every fiber of my body, and I let out a small moan, before I rolled out and my feet hit the floor. And delight of delights, we had scheduled JURSI specific teaching that day until 4pm, there truly was no rest for the weary that day. But, the good thing is, if I have to be up all through the night--if that is mandatory, at least on L&D you get to participate in a new life entering the world this side of the womb. I had to really focus not to burst into tears of joy at my first delivery.

Interestingly enough (although, not surprising), is the atmosphere around the issues of the beginning of life. Everyday I feel as though I need to be on guard, cautious, and pay attention to the calculated moves that are executed around me, so as to to get caught in their web. One doctor tried to corner me today, but I think I skillfully diffused the situation. There is no point in having a discussion if the only purpose is to have an argument. And its was only day 3.

After being on call on Monday, I feel as though I lost an entire day. I dont think I have actually seen Regina daylight since I have been here! While I love being in the hospital, I really dislike feeling like entire days are being swallowed by a black hole. I literally have not had ten minutes to sit and ponder the teachings from the weekend yet, and I likely will not have time until this coming weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The welcoming of a new soul into the earth is truly an amazing event. One realizes the infinite magnificence of God's creation. He planned it all.. He's in control...
Sounds incredibly busy, hopefully there will be occasional lulls in the pace you are at.
Your high energy will pay off!

tmosh said...

i think its neat how you are being apart of all these births and going through such a life change of your own at the same time....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very interesting first day on call. I feel tired like you cause I spent lots of hours going through my papers last night.

Just Me said...

It's not like Scrubs?? teehee!! Tim and I downloaded all of the seasons and are on season 3...